Select at least two creation myths from two different cultures..
Write a 600- to 875-word paper about the selected creation myths that answers two of the following questions:
- Which world or worlds, such as sky, earth, and underworld, are represented in the myths you chose? What are the elements of these worlds?
- Describe the creators. Are the creators male or female, and of what significance is gender? Describe what they created, including the steps or cycles of creation. Also, include descriptions of any destroyers or destruction, if applicable.
- Why is there such a focus on cosmic occurrences or natural phenomena like stars, moons, floods, rain, etc.?
- Compare the creators, creations, the steps or cycle of creation, and the cosmic elements of the two myths. What are the similarities and differences?
- Why do you think cosmic or creation myths are important to a culture? How do they shape a culture’s view of the world?
Choose 2 of the following-
Creation of the Universe and Ife (Yoruba)
The Creation (Maya)
Osiris, Isis, and Horus
The Creation of the Titans and Gods
Far East and Pacific Islands
The Creation, Death and Rebirth of the Universe