This assignment enables the student to meet one or more of the following Course Outcomes depending on the topic selected.
CO 1: Describe patient-care technologies as appropriate to address the needs of a diverse patient population. (PO 1)
CO 2: Analyze data from all relevant sources, including technology, to inform the delivery of care. (PO 2)
CO 3: Define standardized terminology that reflects nursing’s unique contribution to patient outcomes. (PO 3)
CO 4: Investigate safeguards and decision-making support tools embedded in patient care technologies and information systems to support a safe practice environment for both patients and healthcare workers. (PO 4)
CO 5: Identify patient care technologies, information systems, and communication devices that support safe nursing practice. (PO 5)
CO 6: Discuss the principles of data integrity, professional ethics, and legal requirements related to data security, regulatory requirements, confidentiality, and client’s right to privacy. (PO 6)
CO 7: Examine the use of information systems to document interventions related to achieving nurse sensitive outcomes. (PO 7)
CO 8: Discuss the value of best evidence as a driving force to institute change in delivery of nursing care. (PO 8)
Select one of these topics below for the focus of your paper.
Standard terminologies (CO 3, CO 8)
Decision-making support tools (CO 4, CO 8)
Patient education technology (CO 5, CO 8)
Data integrity and its legal and ethical implications (CO 7, CO 8)
You are to research, analyze, and write an APA-formatted scholarly paper about the topic that you have selected. Include the level one headings as numbered below:
1) Write an introduction that defines and describes the topic ending with a purpose statement. (Decision-making support tools)
2) Address what purpose the topic serves and how it impacts the delivery of healthcare in general and nursing care in particular.
3) Provide one example of this topic. Describe the main features or aspects of the example with support from your sources.
4) Describe an experience where the topic impacted you personally, either when you were receiving healthcare or when you were providing nursing care. Relate one positive aspect or one negative aspect of this experience and how it could have been improved.
5) Write a conclusion that summarizes the topic, the purpose, and how your newfound insight will influence your nursing care.
Search for scholarly sources and relevant websites. Include a minimum of four scholarly sources no older than 5 years. The course textbook does not qualify as a scholarly source. Cite all sources in the body of the paper and include them in the References list following proper APA formatting.
Use Microsoft Word to develop your paper. Use APA formatting. Refer to the Publication Manual of the APA, sixth edition. The length of the paper should be a maximum of 4–5 pages, excluding the title page and the reference page. There should only be one small quote maximum in the paper. Citations should primarily include summary and restatement.