Personal beliefs and values guide a nurse’s practice and attitude. Patient situations occur that may challenge your beliefs and values.
Describe one experience in which your patient’s beliefs about his or her medical care differed from your beliefs.
- Describe the differences between your beliefs and those of the patient.
- Analyze and describe feelings this situation brought forth.
- Evaluate strategies for dealing with this situation in a nonjudgmental way.
Complete the following tasks:
- Complete the life-changes questionnaire in your course textbook on pages 248 and explain your life-stress index and how your level of stress impacts you.
- Expand the discussion to focus strategies you apply to deal with stress and the stress that patients and families deal with in a hospital setting. How can you assist them? Bring pertinent personal experiences into the discussion, if any.
- Explain how those instances of stress affect behavior. How does understanding stress and its effects change your view of patient behavior?
Justify your responses with the readings or articles from the South University