State and local health agencies are not the only governmental organizations working to reduce the burden of disease and ill health in society. Federal, state, and local government all play important roles through agencies that are better known for other responsibilities, such as law enforcement and transportation. The complexities of government and its various agencies add an essential, but not necessarily the most important, dimension to public health practice. The prevention of motor vehicle-related injuries is a prime example of a situation in which multiple agencies, and not just those that are health related, have a shared responsibility.
Using the readings for the week, the South University online library, and the Internet, write a 3–5-page paper.
Cover the following:
- For the prevention of motor vehicle-related injuries, provide an analysis of how responsibilities are assigned or delegated among the following:
- The three levels of government: federal, state, and local
- Various agencies of those levels of government
Write a 3-5 page paper discussing how the public health system is set-up in the U.S. Include a discussion on: the main public health functions of state health departments, how are state health departments structured, Does their structure affect the role they play in public health?
- Support your responses with examples.
- Cite any sources in APA format.