Complete Standard 1 of the “Teacher Work Sample” template.
Knowing your school and community with its unique demographics will support your understanding and effectiveness as a teacher.
Research demographic and logistical information about your school, community, and students. Organize this information into the corresponding sections of the TWS. The inserted data will include the following:
Community, District, and School Factors:
- Geographic location, population, stability of community, and community support for education.
- District name and grades served, number of schools, number of students, and percentage of students receiving free or reduced-price lunch.
- Your school information, including the school name, grades, number of students,percentage of students receiving free or reduced-price lunch, and the academicachievement ranking/level.
- The academic achievement ranking/level could include the Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP) and school improvement status.
- The demographic data of the students in your class, i.e., enrollment, ethnicities,gender, and socioeconomic information.
- Knowing classroom demographic information is helpful in developing instruction and classroom management/engagement plans.
- Environmental factors such as physical arrangement of the room, classroom resources available, parental involvement, and available/accessible technology.
Student factors to include the number of students that receive outside the class educational resources, number of students whose primary language is not English, number of students on IEPs, number of non-labeled students, such as 504, and any other factors that influence the delivery of content in the classroom.
- Use a peer-reviewed or professional journal to expound on a topic within this standard.
- Write a 3-5 bullet summary of the literature source.
After you have inserted this information into the appropriate sections of the TWS, write the narrative portion of the report (Instructional Implications) and ensure it is no morethan 500 words. Summarize how the information compiled above will influence your success as a teacher candidate by addressing the following:
- What points of information are imperative for new teachers to know? How will thi information affect your teaching and interactions with students, staff, andcommunity? How does this data inform your effectiveness as a teacher?
- How will the differences and similarities of the students in your classroom effectyour daily interactions, instruction, planning, and classroom engagement/management plans?
While APA format is not required for the body of this assignment, solid academic writing is expected, and in-text citations and references should be presented using APA documentation guidelines, which can be found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center.
This assignment uses a rubric. Review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.