Larry is a 30-year-old male who is 5’ 10” tall and weighs 185 pounds. He is a stock trader by day and a competitive body builder by night. He recently had his body fat tested and the results showed 8% body fat. His coach would like him to lower his body fat to 5%. He has read in muscle magazines that if he wants to build more muscle and cut his body fat he should eat a high protein diet.
Discuss the following:
- What are the protein requirements for Liz and Larry based upon the information provided and their athletic status?
- What are the pros/cons of a high protein diet for athletes?
- What advice would you give to Liz and Larry on whether they should follow a high protein diet? What scientific evidence would you provide to justify your opinions?
- What would you recommend for carbohydrate and protein needs of an athlete such as Liz and Larry?
- How might these recommendations change based upon age, gender, and body weight? Explain your answer.
Write and submit a short paper to address the Seminar questions. Your response should be a minimum of 400 words in length and must be completed by the deadline for the unit.