- Review the Learning Resource on Determining the Main Points of a Reading.
- Choose one of the preselected journal articles in this week’s Learning Resources.
- Applying the concepts from this week’s resources, critically read the journal article, taking notes or engaging in any research methods that you would like to try.
1) Select three related main points from the journal article (excluding the Abstract), and directly quote them
2) In addition to the directly quoted main points, compose 1–2 sentences of rationale for each main point.
3) Use these sentences to explain the reason you selected each point from the journal article. Consider the following questions in your rationale:
a. Why are these three specific points the author’s main ideas?
b. What makes them stand out to you as a critical reader?
c. How are these main points related to one another?
Walden University Writing Center. (2015i). Walden templates: General templates: APA course paper template (6th ed.). Retrieved from http://academicguides.waldenu.edu/writingcenter/templates/general
Laureate Education. (2015). [Infographic]. Understanding Arguments, Baltimore, MD: Author.
Walden University Academic Skills Center. (2017). Determining the main points of a reading. Minneapolis, MN: Author.
Walden University. (2015). Writing a Paper: Understanding Arguments. Retrieved from
Grad Writing II: http://academicguides.waldenu.edu/wcss6060
From the list of selected journal articles, choose and critically read one article in preparation for this week’s Assignment
Please note: You will use your selected journal article throughout the course.
Note: Walden Library Guides house a selection of journal articles listed in the resources sections for each week/module for which they are required. The citation of the reading is provided and below the citation it should state “Retrieved from the Walden Library databases.”
Walden University Writing Center (Producer). (2014, January 13). WriteCast: Five strategies for critical reading (Episode 5) [Audio podcast]. Retrieved from https://soundcloud.com/writecast/005-five-strategies-for
Note: The approximate length of this media piece is 11 minutes.